Friday, October 22, 2010

La prochaine fois, tu prends un parachute...

Hey guys,

Well, I promised to post more, so here we go! The last few days have been bizarre, to say the least. I experienced my first taste of socialized medicine and attended french parent teacher conferences all within a span of about 4 hrs. I'll start first with the translation of the title: Next time you should have a parachute. This was said to be by Marie Agnes' (the teacher I'm staying w/) father. By the way, this is probably the sassiest family I have ever encountered (apart from my own of course.) Anyways, "père-père" said this to me today in reference to the little incident I had Thursday morning round about 3 a.m. I woke up w/ the worst stomach ache I have ever had in my life. When I proceeded downstairs to the bathroom, I turned on the light, and then passed out. When I came to, I was lying face down on the bathroom floor and my face was white as a sheet. Also, I seemed to have banged my face pretty hard when I fell. So, the next day, when I told Marie Agnes about this little mishap, she goes, yeah we should take you to see the doctor. So, we go to the doctor's office and wait for about 2 hrs (because we didn't have an appointment.) My doctor was super cute, in a geeky doctor way, and he's now my primary physician (you have to have one of these in France.) When he signed off on my form, he said ever so cutely, "You're my first ever American patient." I could definitely be sick again.

After leaving the doctor's office and getting the prescribed medicine, we, or rather Marie Agnes was late for parent teacher conferences for her middle son, Simon. What was really weird about this was the fact that the kids come to the parent teacher conferences WITH the parents! Now, how are you supposed to talk crap about your kid when they're sitting right there?! Anyways, turns out, Simon is a great student and he only has a problem with conjugating verbs in French. Join the club Simon.

So, needless to say, I got some good cultural education yesterday. I also got some sass from a grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment